Re: [Xen-users] How to list the drives a DomU is using, and their types -- with or without a parition -- from the Dom0?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: billb@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 07:47:37 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:48:15 +0000

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016, at 07:06 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> > I thought that snaps had to remain 'in' the VG, and they can get kind of
> > large.
>
> A snapshot is simply a virtual image of the volume at a point in time. In
> terms of what you see when you look into it, it is exactly

This is a really helpful writeup. Thanks!

> When you are done, remember to delete the snapshot or it will slow
> performance* and eat disk space*.

Yep.

> A couple of caveats though.

I think I came across some similar concerns here

 [Libguestfs] Question about using guestfish --ro as a backup solution
 https://www.redhat.com/archives/libguestfs/2010-August/msg00024.html

> Personally, I work the other way - I do backups from within the guest using
> rsync to maintain a clone of the filesystem as seen

That thread also suggests

"Run a backup daemon inside the guest instead.  There are plenty of
network backup programs around.  Choose your favorite one and install
it in your VM."

which I think is what you're saying you're doing.

> * It's worth considering the way snapshots work.

Yep.  Sound like there are some issues to worry about.

It'd be great if there was an approved/recommended, safe & well documented way
to make  point in time "snapshots" (or whatever you'd call them) of Xen guests.
 If it's there in the docs I didn't get to it yet.

I'm after two things.

1st, general regular backups of production guests.

and 2nd, snapshots at various stages of guests' installs that I can store away
somewhere, and use to quickly spin-up a new guest in a "pre configured" state.

Bill