[Xen-users] How to list the drives a DomU is using, and their types -- with or without a parition -- from the Dom0?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: billb@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 11:02:16 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 19:02:31 +0000

Backing up Xen DomUs' LVM disks

When I install a DomU from a OS install disk, I pass it an LV I created on the
Dom0.

So the initial .cfg has

        disk = [ 'phy:/dev/VG0/GUEST01_OS,hda,w',
'file:/home/isos/OS.iso,hdd:cdrom,r',]

The installer process creates a partition on that LV.

Later I'll often add another LV, created on the Dom0 host, for the guest to use
for data.

So my run-time .cfg ends up with, for example

        disk = [ 'phy:/dev/VG0/GUEST01_OS,hda,w',
'phy:/dev/VG0/GUEST01_DATA,hdb,w',]

Now I want to make a backup of this Guest, using LV snapshots.

/dev/VG0/GUEST01_DATA I can snapshot directly.

But because 'hda' has a partition in it, you have to 1st

        kpartx -av /dev/VG0/GUEST01_OS

then snapshot the mounted partition inside

        /dev/mapper/VG0-GUEST01_OS-part1

This works fine -- when you know ahead of time if each Guest disk has a
partition in it or not.

I want to automate/script the backup process.

How can I query a DomU Guest from the Dom0 host to

  (1) list all the drives in use

and

  (2) identify each drive's "type" -- with, or without, a partition in it?

Bill