Re: [Xen-users] How to list the drives a DomU is using, and their types -- with or without a parition -- from the Dom0?

billb@xxxxxxx wrote:

> I'd thought that Xen 'figured out' what kind of disk structure it's mounting.

The "disk structure" as far as Xen is concerned is ... a "disk". Just a
collection of blocks.

> I thought that snaps had to remain 'in' the VG, and they can get kind of
> large.

A snapshot is simply a virtual image of the volume at a point in time. In terms
of what you see when you look into it, it is exactly the same size as the
volume - though the underlying representation of it will grow over time
(starting from near enough zero space). So if you wanted to backup that
snapshot, you'd treat it like a disk and image it - what you do with the image
is then up to you.
When you are done, remember to delete the snapshot or it will slow performance*
and eat disk space*.

A couple of caveats though.
If you snapshot the volume, what you see is the same as if you unceremoniously
yanked the power cord on a physical machine - anything still held in the
guest's dirty cache will not be there. You can minimise this by triggering the
guest to sync it's cache, and of course using a journaled filesystem - but you
cannot completely eliminate it.

The way some virtualisation & backup systems handle this is (to simplify "a
bit") to make the combination of hypervisor, guest OS, and backup system
intimately aware of each other so that the backup system can copy what the
guest has, not what it has already written to disk.

Personally, I work the other way - I do backups from within the guest using
rsync to maintain a clone of the filesystem as seen by the guest on one central
device. From there I generate multiple generations with file de-dupe etc as a
separate off-line task. One area where if you ask 10 people you'll get 11
opinions :-)

* It's worth considering the way snapshots work.
AIUI in LVM, when you make a snapshot, what is on-disk is kept as the "before
image". Any writes then go into a separate "after image" area which starts at
zero and grows. Anything accessing the snapshot gets the before image data,
anything accessing the live volume gets the data from the after image if there
is a corresponding block, or the before image data if it's not been altered.
Over time the after-image data set grows - and performance will be affected as
the data gets fragmented.
When you destroy the snapshot, any data in the after image is then copied into
the main volume and after that the after image is deleted.

I would not have thought that you could safely mount a snapshot. If you try
mounting it read-only then you have a dirty filesystem. If you mount it
read-write then fsck will try and fix it, which then means you have two
different systems trying to write to a volume. I don't know if LVM will handle
this and prevent the host access from corrupting the guests filesystem.