Re: [Xen-users] Slow upstream speeds from guest OS

Enable the PV network driver as Seffan said. Also can you tell us a little bit about your networking setup? Are you using an ethernet bridge (where the physical and guest interfaces are both slaves of the bridge), layer 3 routing, NAT, wireless proxy ARP, or something else? Post the output of `ip link` in the guest and host. Check for packet loss using ping or by comparing the in/out byte count of the guest and host[0]. If relevant, post your firewall rules using `iptables {,-tnat} -L -v` or `nft list ruleset`. Also, make sure your DomU has equal or better resources (memory, vcpus) than your Dom0 (or whatever domain you're testing against).

Also, consider setting up a driver domain[1]. Driver domains are good for security and reliability if you have an IOMMU, and can be good for performance in many cases, particularly when the Dom0 is CPU- or memory-bound by DomU excessive I/O. It also allows you to choose a different OS (and therefore driver) for the network card, so you can use one that gives you better performance.

If you only need networking in one guest, you can use PCI/USB passthrough which usually offers the best performance.

[0]: https://serverfault.com/questions/533513/how-to-get-tx-rx-bytes-without-ifconfig
[1]: http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Driver_Domain