Re: [Xen-users] ARM: Xen on Vexpress

On Mon, 2014-06-30 at 11:17 +0100, Jeenu Viswambharan wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 15:51:09, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Fri, 2014-06-27 at 15:36 +0100, Jeenu Viswambharan wrote:
> > > Thanks. I've copied the configuration made appropriate changes
> > > (attached). For Dom0, I'm using the same kernel as the Dom0, except
> > > that I've diabled Virtualization (therefore Xen too). I suppose
> > > that's OK?
> >
> > I think you said dom0 too many times there. Was one of them supposed
> > to be a domU?
>
> Err, yes, the first Dom0 was meant to be a DomU.

OK, then disabling virtualisation for the domU kernel is certainly
wrong.

> > You need xen enabled in both dom0 and domU. In fact the easiest thing
> > to do is to use the same kernel for both.
>
> OK.
>
> > > I'm executing the command 'xl -vvv create guest.cfg'. The command
> > > reports failing to start a console (logs attached). When the command
> > > returns, I can see that 'xl list' lists a domain named 'guest', but
> > > I've no way to connect to it, or to know whether it has booted
> > > properly!
> >
> > The error messages suggest to me that you are missing some key piece
> > of generic infrastructure, like perhaps /dev/pts.
> >
> > I'd strongly recommend you find a way to run udev on this platform so
> > that it can sort out the content of /dev for you (this was the cause
> > of all the missing device nodes which you tripped over earlier too).
>
> Um, starting udev (via. /etc/init.d/udev start) effectively wipes out
> the /dev/ directory contents, barring few! I can't find any udev logs,
> despite changing log level to debug.

http://community.arm.com/groups/processors/blog/2014/03/28/virtualization-on-arm-with-xen
 has an example initscript in it which seems to suggest that
        mount -t devtmpfs dev /dev
        /sbin/udevd --daemon
        udevadm trigger --action=add
should do the right thing (I was advising Andrew when he wrote that and
it sounds familiar to me to). If you are going to skip the
usual /sbin/init based setup then I would recommend you use something
akin to the init.sh proposed in that blog post (it doesn't look like it
is terribly openSUSE specific, but YMMV).

Ian.