Re: [Xen-users] how to start VMs in a particular order

Joost Roeleveld <joost@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> On Sunday 29 June 2014 18:31:44 lee wrote:
>>
>> I think enforcing a particular order in which the VMs are started and a
>> waiting period between starting each VM is the most reasonable approach
>> in my case.
>>
>> [...]
>
> I used to do it this way. Untill I ended up with varying boot times due to
> aging hardware, network congestion to the internet for some services and
> filesystem checks because of max mount-count reached or too long without
> checking.

Hm, yes, that could be a problem.

> With the disks you are using, you are more likely to end up with varying boot
> times then if you would be using disks that do not have aggressive
> powersaving.

It's booting from the two 15k SAS disks --- I doubt that those have
aggressive powersaving :)

Even if --- I doubt the powersaving would vary so much that it would
have much effect on boot time.

>> I guess I could "encode" the waiting periods in the file names ... With
>> a name like '02-0300-VMx.cfg', I could make the starting script wait 300
>> seconds before it actually starts that VM, and it would start
>> '01-0000-VMz.cfg' before that, without waiting.  That would be plain and
>> simple.
>>
>> Actually, the default xendomains script should do that ...
>
> No, it shouldn't.
> An additional option inside the config-file might be an option. But I
> wouldn't
> want the default init-script to use the filename for any configuration item.

It seems to have become common practise for split configuration files.
Not that I like those, and you could argue that the ones for VMs aren't
split, yet it would be an easy way to do it.  An additional option would
be better, though.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.