Re: [Xen-devel] Determining iommu groups in Xen?

On 28/08/14 18:53, Peter Kay wrote:

> On 28 August 2014 18:13:07 BST, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> On 28/08/14 17:48, Peter Kay wrote:
>>> Fair enough; possibly not ideal but it's an administrator function
>> with calculated risk. A warning might be nice, though.
>>
>> I am not aware of a single server platform which doesn't have a single
>> erraturm which breaks the end-to-end security or functionality of PCI
>> Passthrough.  I would love to be proved wrong in this regard.
> I will try and find the PCI quirk posts for KVM.
>
>> I am confused as to what exactly you mean by iommu groups in this
>> context.  My initial guess of the iommu context identifiers for HAP/EPT
>> tables was clearly wrong.
> An iommu group, as far as I'm aware, is the group of devices that are not
> protected from each other. In KVM, you must pass through the entire group to
> a VM at once, unless a 'don't go crying to me if it stomps over your memory
> space or worse' patch is applied to the kennel claiming that everything is
> fine.

I have googled the term in the meantime, and it is what I initially thought.

All PCI devices passed though to the same domain share the same single
"iommu group" per Kernel/KVM terminology.  There is not currently any
support for multiple iommu contexts within a single VM.

~Andrew