Re: [Xen-devel] Fwd: Re: Xen 4.3 / 4.4 - concurrent APIs, VGA Passthru

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:31:47 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:32:00 +0000

On 2014-08-18 22:13, Richie wrote:
On 8/18/2014 11:45 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
On 08/18/2014 04:26 PM, Georg Bege wrote:
Hi

I simply wanted to tell my tale about the outcome of my experiments,
I was occupied with certain other things (including exchanging some
zpool's).
For now I run an Vista x64 and it works pretty well, I never got the
gplpv drivers running on
acceptable levels (they are still quite slow) so I decided to pass
onboard controller, sound and usb3.
This decission seemed to be a wise one and everything works great as
expected, the problem with gplpv
well it might also be a result of my volume scheme since I only run ZFS
- now an raidz1 (on enterprise disks though).
I also replaced the nvidia drivers from 331.65 to 337.88 - this revision
gave me a lot more performance but I can remember I had this issue on
native Windows too.

So after a lot of testing, pain, time consuming days (and nights) its
really working great - not perfect maybe.
My next goal is to dedicate an SSD for that system volume, maybe try
Win7 again as well -
also I'd like to get an GTX690 and hardmod it so I get a lot more
speed...

Modifying it won't get you more speed.

I was originally planning to use a GTX690 and pass one GPU to each of
my VMs, but I eventually replaced it with a pair of 780Tis.

I am running on a SSD backed zvol, with gplpv.

Gordan

Do you mind posting the specifics on your setups?  I read as many
threads with this topic as I could find in the archives. It sounds
like you are using Xen 4.3.2, Vista 64, nonmodded GTX as secondary
passthrough and older nvidia drivers.

Xen 4.3.0 for me - I had to patch my hvmloader to mark most of
the RAM between 1GB and 4GB as reserved due to a bug in my PCIe
multiplexers which break IOMMU operation (Nvidia NF200). I saw
no reason to upgrade since it meant re-patching. I will upgrade
to 4.4.x when the patches that limit RAM below 4GB are incorporated
since I should be able to make do with those instead of my gross
hack job.

I have two VMs, one is XP/64, the other is Win7/64. I am using
_modified_ GTX780Ti cards. Previously I was running a modified
680, and before that a modified 480 (4xx series and older cards
can be modified with just a small BIOS patch).

Using secondary passthrough and the latest 331.xx driver (the
exact version escapes me at the moment).

Did you have to do any vBAR patching?

No.

Are you loading a copy of the VGA's rom bios?

No. No BIOS level output from the GPU being passed through
until the driver loads and initializes it.

Gordan