Re: [Xen-users] Boot Error in converting VMDK/VMX to XEN HVM

Status update:
- I tried to fix my existing qemu-img converted partition with ntfsreloc, but even if my whole disk geometry is errorless according to testdisk now, and the 2 boot records function well, Windows shows a bluescreen after offering me safe mode, etc.

- so now I start fresh with Fajar's method, and some questions arise:
/1/ make sure the XP image has IDE drivers installed:
- the boot/OS disk is SCSI => maybe the IDE drivers are missing.
- in VMWare Fusion, I created a 1GB IDE harddisk and the new IDE disk is formatted and working in WinXP => now the drivers should be ok

/2/ create a new virtual harddisk, partition it for windows and set the boot flag active
- I suppose, that this step is done by following:
- lvcreate -L25G -n domU-winxp vol0 [where vol0 is my volume group and 25G the size of the disk]
- then run fdisk /dev/vol0/domU-winxp and
   a) create a dos partition table with the 'o' command, write changes to disk with 'w'
   b) but: when I try to create the windows partition with 'np1', the start sector cannot be chosen to be 63 but minimum must be 2048! I set the type to 0x07 with the 't' command and make it bootable with the 'a' command.

I get:
Disk /dev/vol0/domU-winxp: 26.8 GB, 26843545600 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3263 cylinders, total 52428800 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xd02fe7f2

               Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/vol0/domU-winxp1   *        2048    52428799    26213376    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Then write the whole stuff with 'w' command.
- I run 'partprobe /dev/vol0/domU-winxp' to sync the kernel to the new disk partition

/3/ copy data with ntfsclone
- here it get's tricky. I suppose that I shall use ntfsclone inside the VM when booting from the sysrescuecd?
- then, I would store the ntfscloned NTFS partition to a file, I guess, maybe a shared drive I can mount when in the systemrescuecd operating system?
- that I did, using sshfs I mounted a external drive in the systemrescuecd environment and used following command to clone my WinXPBoot partition:
ntfsclone -s --output /mnt/backup/winxp.img /dev/sdb1
- when that was done, I booted the new XEN HVM with sysrescuecd and the newly created /dev/vol0/domU-winxp
- in sysrescuecd environment, I connect via sshfs to the same shared drive to access my winxp.img file also from there
- using ntfsclone again, I put the winxp.img onto the newly created partition which still starts at sector 2048:
ntfsclone -r --overwrite
/dev/xvda1 /mnt/backup/prg/winpx.img

/4/ run ntfsreloc (bundled on sysrescuecd, or you can compile your own)
to adjust filesystem geometry for a NTFS partition on the new
partition
- I do this in the sysrescuecd environment:
'ntfsreloc -s 63 -w -p /dev/xvda1' and I get:

heads sectors start
partition: 255 63 2048
filesystem: 255 56 56
backup sector:255 56 56
target: 255 56 63
done!
- ah well, that doesn't look too good. As I said earlier, the original SCSI disk under VMWare has 56 sectors/track ... and it seems that using ntfsclone didn't remove such adjustments.

- however, I followed Fjar's hints, so now I give it a try:
of course, the system cannot boot, as I didn't install a MBR, jet. This is obviously missing.

Fajar: how do you normally get the MBR installed and do your conversions from SCSI to IDE also lead to these problems with 56 -> 63 sectors issues? Which kind of software is good to get the NTFS from 56 to 63, or maybe this is not necessary?

Still a bit lost,
Stefan.