Re: [Xen-users] Boot Error in converting VMDK/VMX to XEN HVM

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:57 AM, Stefan Pielmeier <stefan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to convert a VM Ware Fusion/Player working Virtual Machine with
> Windows XP to XEN.
> I recieved some car service manuals in that format and refuse to buy VMWare
> fusion or make VMWare player work on Ubuntu 12.04, this is a nightmare, and I
> have a server for my VM's running XEN, this is just perfect, so why not as
> well for this WinXP VMs with the service manuals on?
>
> I converted the VMDK disk to a physical device using qemu-img convert
> smart.vmdk -O raw /dev/mapper/vol0-domU-smart.

Yeah, that is known not to work.

> Then I checked manually the first sector of the harddisk with hexedit and it
> seems ok regarding the partitioning and the position of the boot sector. The
> only strange thing seems that the disk has following fdisk parameters with 56
> sectors/track instead of 63 like in the other examples I found on the net for
> Win XP:
>
> Disk /dev/mapper/vol0-domU--smart: 26.8 GB, 26843545600 bytes
> 255 heads, 56 sectors/track, 3671 cylinders, total 52428800 sectors
> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x130b130a
>
>                        Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id
> System
> /dev/mapper/vol0-domU--smart1   *          56    52407599    26203772    7
> HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
>
> could this be some trick to make the VM not working with other than VMWares
> VM platforms?
>
> Well I am stuck, somebody can help me?

What I usually do:
- make sure the XP image has IDE drivers installed
- create a new virtual harddisk, partition it for windows and set the
boot flag active
- copy data with ntfsclone
- run ntfsreloc (bundled on sysrescuecd, or you can compile your own)
to adjust filesystem geometry for a NTFS partition on the new
partition

You should then be able to use it on Xen if you use the same ACPI and
APIC settings as whatever you had on vmware.

--
Fajar