Re: [Xen-users] Cannot shut down a domU from dom0

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Alan McKay <alan.mckay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Sean Greenslade <zootboysean@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> There is. "xl destroy DOMNAME" will kill it, no questions asked. Of
>> course, it is basically the same as pulling plug, so it should only be
>> done as a last resort.
>
> Aha!   I'd gone through the man page ... but somehow missed that.  Or
> maybe misunderstood it.
>
> This is important for me right now while working out kinks.   In
> particular I need to be able to boot from a Live CD , then reboot from
> the HD to see if the fiddling I'd done from the live CD worked.  Then
> if not, reboot live CD again, fiddle more, then reboot from HD.
>
> Maybe there is a cleaner way to do this so if so let me know.  But the
> DESTROY option is certainly better than rebooting dom0 :-)

As far as I know, xl shutdown will, if on a PV domain, ask the kernel
directly to shutdown (as the kernel is Xen-aware). If the domain is
HVM (or you specify -F with a PV domain), it will send an AHCI
shutdown command to the virtual hardware. Barring any other
sidechannel shutdowns (e.g. logging into the domU's terminal and
initiating a shutdown inside the domain), the only other option is the
"pull the plug" destroy. But hey, it's the same with a real PC, no?

--
--Zootboy

Sent from some sort of computing device.