Re: [Xen-users] Cannot shut down a domU from dom0

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Try logging into your VM and check if this is the case. My bet is that
> you're running in HVM mode so you need to configure VNC for your VM,
> which is just trivial - look at xen wiki.

Yes I am in HVM and I can get in via VNC but it does not let me power
off completely from there.   "shutdown" only brings me to single user
mode.  The basic issue is that it is not re-reading my cfg file when I
reboot from VNC.   I want to shut down completely and then re start so
it rereads my cfg file.   Even with VNC access I do not see a way to
do this.

> The -F option sends ACPI button event to OS, it is just like pressing
> the power button. You also need your OS  to respond to that event
> correctly.

Aha that should have been obvious to me.  I want an option to pull the
power completely.  But I guess in the mean time I have to read up on
ACPI for Red Hat 8 (sigh).  It really would be nice to have a
pull-the-power option in Xen.   EVen if it can have horrible
consequences, that decisions should be up to me.