Re: [Xen-users] Xen vs VMWare comparison paper

> But, what about this site that it's considered an important reference
> for students here:
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1204_virt&num=1
>
> I don't see the point of running an HVM Linux.. am I missing something here?

Yes. HVM Linux for most workloads is actualy faster than PV one. I've done
benchmarks a while ago on a decent hardware (Xeon 56xx, EPT, lots of
optimizaton for VMENTRY / VMEXIT, etc).
Look for what VMware has been doing from a long time - it has switched every
x86_64/AMD64 guest to hardware virtualization (there's a paper about that that
shows what they use for which kind of guest).
PV still has its place in some specific workloads, but the tendency is now
reversed.