Re: [Xen-users] Xen vs VMWare comparison paper

eva wrote:

I don't see the point of running an HVM Linux.. am I missing something here?

It depends on what level of control/customisation you have over the guest.

For most cases, there's no point I can see. However, there will be cases where "appliances" are being employed where it may be required. The sort of situation I can think of might be where you buy am appliance which comes as a complete system - "insert [ CD | USB Stick ], switch on, wait while it installs". In that situation, the vendor may simply only support unmodified bare-metal installs.

Running it as a PV guest will be right out, running it as an HV guest you will probably get away with - but not necessarily. Slightly different these days now that standard kernels tend to have the Xen stuff - so you could probably manage to run the appliance as a PV guest without having to use a different kernel.

As an aside, at work we have some customers using a particular package (on Windows). This isn't supplied as a disk, you have to call up the vendors, give them remote access to your server, and they will install and configure it. They will not work with a virtual machine - not even using Microsoft's Hyper-V. I think for one customers, we let them install it, then imaged the machine into a VM.

--
Simon Hobson