Re: [Xen-users] Xen vs VMWare comparison paper

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: eva <evammg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 10:32:46 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 24 May 2012 08:35:03 +0000

On 23 May 2012 19:11,  <admin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm guessing that the benchmarks were run without any optimized drivers for
> Windows under Xen.  That would be the only way to explain the dismal
> performance.  Windows is known to perform poorly under Xen if you simply
> install Windows and don't install optimized drives.  In all fairness,
> Windows performs poorly on native hardware if you don't install optimized
> drivers, so testers should expect to have to install optimized drivers when
> testing Windows regardless of the environment.  I have emailed them about
> this, and I will post anything I hear back from them.

100% agree. And also, that most of Xen users run PV guests, so this is
usually irrelevant.

But, what about this site that it's considered an important reference
for students here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1204_virt&num=1

I don't see the point of running an HVM Linux.. am I missing something here?