Re: [Xen-devel] preparations 4.7.3 and 4.6.6

>>> On 09.06.17 at 14:22, <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/06/17 13:07, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> with the goal of releasing in about 3 weeks time, please point out
>> backport candidates you find missing from the respective staging
>> branches, but which you consider relevant. Please note that 4.6.6
>> is expected to be the last xenproject.org managed release from
>> its branch.
>>
>> Andrew, I think I had seen you offer taking care of backports of
>> one or both of
>>
>> 5c4f579e0e x86/pv: Fix the handling of `int $x` for vectors which alias
> exceptions
>> a0b40c3e08 x86/pagewalk: Fix pagewalk's handling of instruction fetches
>> (its prereq revert 224acdd04a backports easily to at least 4.8,
>> but we don't want to apply that alone, obviously)
>>
>> Was that meant for just 4.8, or also one or both of these older
>> branches?
>
> I can arrange the backport of `int $x`.

Thanks.

> The prereq revert is fine for backport to 4.7 (which was when the change
> was introduced.

You mean - other than I've indicated - without the follow-up
also backported? Rather not I would say ...

> The general pagewalk code on the other hand is a different matter.
> There are ~70 prerequisite patches to backport it to 4.8, starting with
> the 23 System Segment Emulation changes at the very beginning of the 4.9
> dev cycle.
>
> Much as I'd like to see the pagewalk problems fixed in earlier releases,
> the risk of doing so is quite high if we fail to disentangle the
> prerequisites properly.  OTOH, I do have a comprehensive unit test which
> raises confidence in the end result.  Then again, there are still two
> outstanding pagewalking bugs I am aware of which are unfixed in staging
> (and why this XTF test isn't running in general automation yet).

No, I certainly don't see us backporting this whole lot. The question
was whether this one change can be sensibly backported on its own.
But I take your reply to mean "rather not".

Jan