Re: [Xen-devel] preparations 4.7.3 and 4.6.6

On 09/06/17 13:07, Jan Beulich wrote:
> All,
>
> with the goal of releasing in about 3 weeks time, please point out
> backport candidates you find missing from the respective staging
> branches, but which you consider relevant. Please note that 4.6.6
> is expected to be the last xenproject.org managed release from
> its branch.
>
> Andrew, I think I had seen you offer taking care of backports of
> one or both of
>
> 5c4f579e0e x86/pv: Fix the handling of `int $x` for vectors which alias
> exceptions
> a0b40c3e08 x86/pagewalk: Fix pagewalk's handling of instruction fetches
> (its prereq revert 224acdd04a backports easily to at least 4.8,
> but we don't want to apply that alone, obviously)
>
> Was that meant for just 4.8, or also one or both of these older
> branches?

I can arrange the backport of `int $x`.

The prereq revert is fine for backport to 4.7 (which was when the change
was introduced.

The general pagewalk code on the other hand is a different matter.
There are ~70 prerequisite patches to backport it to 4.8, starting with
the 23 System Segment Emulation changes at the very beginning of the 4.9
dev cycle.

Much as I'd like to see the pagewalk problems fixed in earlier releases,
the risk of doing so is quite high if we fail to disentangle the
prerequisites properly.  OTOH, I do have a comprehensive unit test which
raises confidence in the end result.  Then again, there are still two
outstanding pagewalking bugs I am aware of which are unfixed in staging
(and why this XTF test isn't running in general automation yet).

~Andrew