Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen VGA Passthrough] Cannot Complete All 3dmark Tests in Windows 8 HVM domU

On 09/16/2014 11:50 PM, Zytaruk, Kelly wrote:
Hi Gordan,

Your request comes at a very opportune time.  I have just started looking into
asic reset and FLR support.
I found your thread at
http://xen.1045712.n5.nabble.com/Re-VGA-passthrough-with-Xen-4-3-and-xl-toolstack-performance-degradation-resolved-td5721581.html

I notice that there is mention of two patches; one for PCI bus reset and one
for secondary passthru.  I have seen a couple very old patches for primary
passthru but I haven't looked at these two yet.  If you could forward me a link
to these patches I can quickly take a look and see whether it makes more sense
to put a fix into QEMU or into the graphics driver.

I don't recall patches for secondary passthrough, but that thread was quite a few months ago so I could be wrong.

The device reset via bus reset was, IIRC, included in the upstream kernel a while back. See:
http://lwn.net/Articles/562212/

I don't know at what kernel version this functionality may have been included. I'd hazard a guess that anyone who has an ATI card surviving domU reboots consistently has this functionality in their kernel.

Gordan