Re: [Xen-devel] [TestDay] F20 Xen 4.4 RC3 Spice support

On Fri, 2014-02-07 at 11:52 +0100, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
> Il 07/02/2014 10:08, Dario Faggioli ha scritto:
> > On gio, 2014-02-06 at 08:35 +0100, Fabio Fantoni wrote:

> The wiki should be updated, the qxl patch for libxl part is complete and
> correct and can be used for tests:
> https://github.com/Fantu/Xen/commit/f1e3f78f7b9580700591cebd98e9263645bff56b
> the actual problem is off of libxl.
> Probably are on hvmloader, qemu and/or kernel.
>
> The latest mail about qxl problem that I send:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-12/msg00758.html

I have everything built and would like to make a quick observation.
From what I have read, the qxl minimum and default video ram is 128MB
but the qemu command line is showing 64MB even when set to 128MB in the
xl config file.

spice = 1
spicehost = '0.0.0.0'
spiceport = 6001
spicedisable_ticketing = 1
spicevdagent = 1
videoram = 128
vga = 'qxl'

/usr/local/lib/xen/bin/qemu-system-i386 -xen-domid 18 -chardev
socket,id=libxl-cmd,path=/var/run/xen/qmp-libxl-18,server,nowait -mon
chardev=libxl-cmd,mode=control -nodefaults -name f20 -serial pty -spice
port=6001,tls-port=0,addr=0.0.0.0,disable-ticketing,agent-mouse=on
-device virtio-serial -chardev spicevmc,id=vdagent,name=vdagent -device
virtserialport,chardev=vdagent,name=com.redhat.spice.0 -device
qxl-vga,vram_size_mb=64,ram_size_mb=64 -boot order=c -smp 2,maxcpus=2
-device virtio-net,id=nic0,netdev=net0,mac=00:16:00:00:11:22 -netdev
type=tap,id=net0,ifname=vif18.0-emu,script=no,downscript=no -machine
xenfv -m 3968 -drive
file=/dev/mapper/xen_vm-f20pvhvm,if=ide,index=0,media=disk,format=raw,cache=writeback

Commenting out the videoram=128 line still shows 64MB in the qemu
command line.

-Eric

Is correct, see also comment on patch... QXL have 2 ram regions, ram and vram
I not found anymore the old qemu patch on one mailing list which describes in detail the qxl structure :(
In shortly, if I remember correctly was:
First region contain basic framebuffer, default 16 mb and up to half of region that is the used also without qxl driver active (when working as standard vga), and the other two part of this region contain commands and cache.
Second region contains the cache of render and various advanced operations, when it was written that I had read the description it seems to me that had not yet been implemented.
Is very likely to have done something wrong in the description that I do not remember.
However, the parameters are correct, I had confirmation from developers qemu / spice last year and I also remember that it was better not to go with the ram under 64 MB for the first region so I set the minimum to 128 total.
If I'll find the official and detailed qxl description I'll post it.