Re: [Xen-users] Basic Question: Accessing the console on Dom0 (Xen4.5-Ubuntu1504)

Many thanks. That helped a bit. I'm able to switch to tty1 and tty2, etc which gives some flexibility.
Going back to the UI via startx is another issue; just getting a blank screen with a cursor.ÂÂ Still, an improvement.

Meanwhile, in Xen-land, I've been able to set up the usual networking in /etc/network/interfaces.
That is, I can ping external sites.

The indications I'm seeing here seem to indicate that the dom0 (Ubuntu 15.04) O/S is having trouble touching the hardware.
The most lowlevel messages seem to be coming from "mcelog", like so:
> mcelog --client
mcelog: client connect: No such file or directory
mcelog: client command write: Transport endpoint is not connected.
mcelog: client read:Â Invalid argument

I see a lot of rss-counter state errors and and "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" messages, which just can't be good.
The rss messages look thus:
[timestamp]Â BUG: Bad rss-counter state mm:ffff880415295180 idx:1 val: 2ÂÂÂ (idx and val values vary)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

When I use startx to bring up a new UI and start a terminal, I was able to try to start firefox:
> firefox &
GLib -CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_slice=0' failed.

And in desperation, I consulted "top" to see what is running. I see a lot of error handling.
- apport
- oopsie
- upstart
- update-manager (?)

I'm obviously not sure about the details, but this collection of messages seems to point to a serious disconnect between dom0 (Ubuntu 15.04) and my hardware:Â Asus Formula V (latest 2012 BIOS).

Hopefully, the above info will ring some bells. Is trying a full re-install with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS something I should consider here?

Best regards,

Doch

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 6:35 AM, Matthias Hoffmann <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

> Here's the newbie bit: I can't open the console. I have to kill GNOME to get a CLI.

> If I try the usual Control-Alt-T method or even the right-click-menu to open a console, the session quickly slows to a crawl then halts. A hard restart is only way out at this point.

Sounds really strange, open a CLI should not be a problem at this point.

Afaik you could use Control+Alt+F2 [Or F3, F4, etc.] to switch to tty2 [3, 4 ..] with Gnome installed. BTW maybe this helps:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/403819/ctrlaltt-not-working

Best regards,

Matthias