Re: [Xen-users] Linux Fiber or iSCSI SAN

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The risk issue I might entertain to some extent (although
personally I think the risk is LOWER if you built the system
yourself and you have it adequately mirrored and backed up - if
something goes wrong you actually understand how it all hangs
together and can fix it yourself quickly, as opposed to hours
of downtime while an engineer on the other end of the phone
tries to guess what is actually wrong).

Very True!!

But apples vs apples. It comes down to the warranty on your
iscsi raid controller, cpu etc.. vs. whatever guts are in the
powervault. And I agree with both trains of thoughts...
Warranty through adaptec or Dell, in either case there
will be downtime.

But the flexibility argument is completely bogus. If you are
building the solution yourself you have the flexibility to do
whatever you want. When you buy and off the shelf
all-in-one-black-box  appliance you are straitjacketed by
whatever somebody else decided might be useful without any
specific insight into your particular use case.

Gordan

For sure... The inflexibility I was referring to are instance where
one starts out an endeavour to build a replicated NAS, and finds
out the hard way regarding size limitations of DRBD, lack of
clustering capabilities of FreeNAS, or instability issues of OpenFiler
with large instances.

There is also SCSI-3 persistent reservations issues which is needed
by some of the virtualization systems that may of may not be supported
by FreeNAS (last I checked)...

N.

N.