Re: [Xen-users] ATI VGA Passthrough / Xen 4.2 / Linux 3.8.10

  2) Have you tried disabling IRQ balancing
  (noirqbalance kernel parameter + disable irqbalance service)?

No clue what that is. ÂCan you provide any direction? ÂI'd be happy to
test.

In your boot loader, find the kernel and xen lines and add:

On the xen line:
noirqbalance

On the dom0 kernel line:
noirqbalance

How would removing noirqbalance help fix the problem? ÂJust curious; as I understand it that tool is used to balance requests like a scheduler of sorts.

  3) Are you assigning > 4GB of RAM to the guest? I found a post
  in the archive last night mentioning that there's an outstanding qemu
  issue with > 4GB of RAM given to the guest. I didn't get around to
  re-trying the VM with 3.5GB yet.

Yes sir. ÂIt's got 8 GB + 1 GB for the standard video adapter. ÂNot sure
if that's improper, but it boots just find with a single card, and the
5850 I plugged in for a short while seemed well behaved. ÂHere's a copy
of my vm config file: http://pastebin.com/bX0ayA0u

I think reducing the guest RAM to 3.5GB is worth a shot, along with only passing a single GPU device.

If I recall the RAM limit is specific to PV guests or older versions of Xen. ÂI have run Windows with 4, 6, 8, and 16GB of RAM without ever encountering this problem, and this includes tests with the xl toolstack on Xen 4.1.2.

    The only single GPU cards I have are the Radeon 5850s in the AMD
    box I
    have. ÂI'm just a little reticent to tear the thing apart though
    cause
    it gets used a lot. ÂI think my next step is to look for a video
    card
    that properly supports FLR,

  As far as I can tell, for all the talk of it - there is NO SUCH THING.
  Somebody on the list posted lspci -vvv from their ATI FirePro card
  which shows it has no FLR, and I have just got a Quadro 2000, which also
  lacks FLR.

  The only vague mention I have seen of FLR on GPUs is on the Intel GPU on
  the very latest generation of Core i CPUs (the built in one). And even
  if that is true it's not all that useful for gaming.

Heh. ÂThe crappiest GPU that would ever be in my system is the most
compatible? ÂGood grief. :P

I'm not sure about compatible, but it seems to have a feature that the others don't - then again, take that with a pinch of salt - I don't have one, and I tend not to believe such things until somebody shows me the lspci dump that proves it.

Where did you find mention of the newer integrated graphics supporting FLR? ÂI have an IvyBridge 3770 with an HD4000, but when I ran lspci -vv and -vvv I did not see FLReset+, but maybe I did something incorrectly as I also did not see any mention of FLReset anywhere? ÂIf the Ivybridge integrated has FLReset I would totally want to test it. ÂIt may not be a powerful chip compared to modern discrete cards, and it won't prove that the lack of FLR is the cause of our AMD/nVidia problems, but it would show the effect the presence of FLR has.

             2) My motherboard's PCIe slots are behind
        NF200 PCIe bridges
           Â(yes,
           ÂEVGA have decided in their infinite wisdom to put
        all 7 PCIe slots
           Âbehind NF200s, none are directly attached to the
        Intel NB).

            ÂI'm so sorry :P. NF200 has probably caused a
        lot of xen
           Âtinkerers to
            Âutter a few dozen cuss words a piece.

            ÂI can believe that. What is the solution, though?

            ÂThe thing that drives me really nuts about the
        issues I'm seeing
           Â(which may or may not be specifically related to
        the NF200) is
           Âthat it
           Âis so intermittent. It works well enough to boot
        up and work with a
           Âgaming type load for a few minutes. Then
        something happens that
           Âcauses
           Âthe VGA card to require a reset, and it all falls
        apart.

           ÂMy solution was to buy another motherboard, I had
        no luck at all
           Âpassing the devices behind the NF200, and similar
        to your situation
           Âall but one PCIe slot on that board was behind
        that bridge.

         ÂDid you not manage to get it working at all? Or was
        it just
         Âintermittent like in my case? I can typically get
        about 5 minutes of
         Âgaming out of my ATI card before it all goes wrong.

         ÂIronically, I was thinking about an Asus Sabertooth
        with an 8-core AMD,
         Âbut opted to go for broke and get a couple of 6-core
        Xeons and an
         ÂEVGA SR-2. It turns out, a solution that is 4x more
        expensive isn't
         Âactually better... :(

        I was unable to get it working at all. ÂThe NF200 simply
        threw errors
        that 100% prevented me from passing the device. ÂI think
        it was missing
        a number of specific features required for passthrough,
        and I vaguely
        remember running lspci -vvv to verify what was missing.
         Perhaps not all
        NF200's are created equal?

      The only logged issue I had with the NF200s was the lack of
      ACS, which
      can be disabled as I mentioned on this thread (at least if
      you are using
      the xm stack). After I disabled that PCI passthrough has
      been working OK.
      It's just VGA passthrough BSOD-ing after some minutes that
      is causing me
      problems.

    In reading up on the wiki, there does indeed seem to be a lot more
    info regarding the use of xl and PCI Passthrough today than the last
    time I looked. ÂIt seems that these types of configuration
    options are
    set on a domain-by-domain basis, or even by device; docs say that
    things like VPCI vs direct PASS mapping of slot layout(?) is
    actually
    configured at the device level either in your DomU config file
    (like:
    pci = ['0:d:0.0, pci-just-forking-work-damn-__you]) or via xl
    (like: xl
    pci-attach 1 0:d:0.0 pci-just-forking-work-damn-__you).

  Hmm... I honestly don't think the xl way will succeed where xm is
  unstable,
  but I might give it a shot.

You'd still likely require all the "hacks" you're currently using, but
they'll all move to different places I'm guessing... if the toolstack
itself doesn't have any bearing on this (which is my suspicion) then you
don't want to go doing all the extra work for nothing, of course!

Exactly. And right now what I have read (somebody point me to something that says otherwise), more people seem to have reported success with xm than xl stacks (but that could just be due to the xl stack being much more recent).

I would go as far as to say that most of those reports came from people who used the packaged Xen, and until very recently the packaged Xen was 4.0 or 4.1 where xm is still the default toolstack.