Re: [Xen-users] ATI VGA Passthrough / Xen 4.2 / Linux 3.8.10

Hello Gordan,

A couple suggestions and questions for you!

On May 8, 2013, at 6:53 PM, Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The only two things that come to mind as possible causes are:
> 1) I'm on a dual socket system (dual Xeon X5650)

There's a thread on xen-devel right now.... Someone attempting iommu
with a dual socket Xeon system having trouble... Devices showing up
twice with different addresses.  It might not help at all, but it
could be worth a peek.

> 2) My motherboard's PCIe slots are behind NF200 PCIe bridges (yes, EVGA have
> decided in their infinite wisdom to put all 7 PCIe slots behind NF200s, none
> are directly attached to the Intel NB).

I'm so sorry :P. NF200 has probably caused a lot of xen tinkerers to
utter a few dozen cuss words a piece.

> What about with PCIe devices behind NF200 bridges? I know the NF200s don't
> support PCI ACS, but that is a security feature (which I have disabled
> enforcement of to get this far), and AFAIK shouldn't actually affect the
> basic PCI passthrough capability.

Question: how'd you disable ACS?  I think it may be causing me some issues.

Have you tried passing the NF200 bridge itself, along with the devices
behind it?  If its possible, it may enable a "cleaner" interaction as
the pcie bus ahead of it should be more well behaved.

> All in all - rather deflating. I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to be
> stuck with rebooting between OS-es for another hardware generation.

Also, are you doing VGA pass through, or just pcie pass through of a
device that happens to be a video card?  I'm guessing you mean the
latter, but if not, it's definitely the more compatible option :)

Cheers,
Andrew