Re: [Xen-users] Storage recovery question / recommendations

On Thu, 04/18/2013 04:27 AM, "mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxx"
<mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Errol and all :-)
>
> Testdisk (photorec actually) was most helpful. I was able to recover a 10GB
> data partition I think. For some reason (maybe because it was allocated on
> hardware HBA?) the vhd seemed to be recovered whole...

Good to know things are going in the right direction!

> But there is another VHD I need - and this one is harder. It contains a 24GB
> base part, and was expanded once or twice with a few more GB.
>
> I'm not sure how that would work - on NFS when I allocate or increase a VHD
> it seems to be allocated as required, however when I've made these changes on
> the local storage the allocation seems to occur as needed (resulting in
> fragmentation).

An virtual disk (VHD) on NFS is different than a virtual disk on LVM'd SR. When
you extend a VD on such an SR, the blocks may not be allocated sequentially.
The latter part of the VD will be allocated as LVM sees fit. Photorec may be
your best option in this regard.

> So...
> 1) am I asking these follow ups in the right place or is this more
> appropriate for another list?
> Assuming I'm ok here...

At this point, I'd say (and I'm sure others would agree) that this is less
about Xen and more about data recovery. That said, I'm willing to share what I
know but your best bet may be the LVM2 forums or the testdisk forums.