Re: [Xen-users] Using Ipv4 and IPv6 Subnet

Hello,

On Wednesday 06 February 2013 23:31:14 Thore wrote:
> when I change it to my adresses, it would work, but how can I set it up
> for the domU's?

Think one moment what you would do with a real physical network:
You have the cable from Hetzner, plug it into a switch, to which you would now
connect all your hosts. As all hosts are part of the same broadcast domain,
you would configure all hosts with the same gateway, netmask, but different
host
addresses.

No back to virtualization:
The cabel is eth0: is has no address on it's own.
Your physical switch is now virtual and done by the Linux kernel on dom0 as
br0. As the bridge and the dom0 are the same, this is the only difference: you
configure the dom0 address on the bridge (and not on some bridge-to-dom0 dummy
interface as it was done in one of the first releases of Xen)

dom0:

> # LAN interface
> auto eth0
Change eth0 -> br0
> iface eth0 inet static
Change eth0 -> br0
>    # Main IP address of the server
>    address 192.168.0.250
>    # Netmask 255.255.255.255 (/32) independent from the
>    # real subnet size (e.g. /27)
>    netmask 255.255.255.255
>    # explicit host route to the gateway
>    gateway 192.168.0.1
>    pointopoint 192.168.0.1
Add "   bridge_ports eth0"
Add "   bridge_fd 0" is you know the consequences

> iface eth0 inet6 static
Change eth0 -> br0
>    # Main IPv6 Address of the server
>    address 2a01:4f8:61:20e1::2
>    netmask 64
>    gateway fe80::1

For the domUs you use the original configuration without the br0->eth0 rename:
There you get a virtual cable, where one end is already plugged in the virtual
switch (vif${dom}.${iface}) by Xend and the other end is now your domUs
interface eth0.

> I think I had to enable the script in the xend config.
Disable them: The current way is to use the mechanism provided by your
Distribution, which for Debian is to edit /etc/network/interfaces.

/etc/xen/xend-config.sxp:
  #(network-script network-bridge)
This disabled xend from creating the bridge itself

  (vif-script vif-bridge)
This tells Xend to plugin your domUs into the bridge.

> Add the address in the .cfg file?
That's more confusing than anything else: the IP address there is only used to
setup anti-spoofing rules, the real IP configuration happens inside your domUs,
since they receive all broadcast traffic.
There you only specify the bridge
  vif = [ '..., bridge=br0, ...' ]

> But can I only use the xenbr0 or need I another bridge and another
> interface for the domU?
In the past Xen did the xenbridge-dance itself to create one default bridge
xenbr0 (later eth0), into which the interface eth0 (later peth0) was plugged
in.

Sincerely
Philipp
--
Philipp Hahn           Open Source Software Engineer      hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Univention GmbH        be open.                       fon: +49 421 22 232- 0