[Xen-users] Recommendations for Virtulization Hardware

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, kvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: ShadesOfGrey <shades_of_grey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 17:12:14 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 21:13:39 +0000

I'm looking to build a new personal computer. I want it to function as a Linux desktop, provide network services for my home, and lastly, occasional Windows gaming. From what I've gathered, virtualization using a Type 1 Hypervisor supporting PCI/VGA pass-through like KVM or Xen would be an attractive solution for my needs. For reference, reading these threads on Ars Technica may be helpful to understand where I'm coming from, http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1175674 and http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1181867. But basically, I use Linux as my primary OS and would rather avoid dual booting or building two boxes just to play Windows games when I want to play Windows games. I'm also intrigued by the concept of virtualization and would like to experiment with it as a solution for my case.

My problem is isolating which hardware to choose, specifically which combination of CPU, motherboard and video card. Previously I had been relying on web searches to glean information from gaming and enthusiast web sites and tech specs from motherboard manufacturers. After what I learned during my participation in the referenced threads at Ars Technica, I find myself back at square one. Instead of trying to guess what hardware support KVM & Xen, and vice versa. I'd like to know what hardware KVM & Xen users are actually using to run KVM & Xen? Particularly with consideration for 3D gaming and current generation hardware, BTW.

If there is need for further clarification, I'll answer any queries you might have.