Re: [Xen-users] [Xen-API] XCP and XenServer software stack versions.

On 29 May 2012 02:28, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 02:55:28PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 05:11:57AM +1000, Joseph Glanville wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am doing abit of research for the wiki and also to try debug some
>> > Windows guest driver issues.
>> > Would someone know what versions of Xen are included in the various
>> > XenServer and XCP versions?
>>
>> Remember both XenServer and XCP have their "product patch queues"
>> which add a lot of patches on top of the xen.org releases.
>>
>> For example XCP 1.1 (which is similar to XenServer 5.6 SP2):
>> xen-3.4.pq.hq - patch queue against tag RELEASE-3.4.2 in xen-3.4-testing.hg:
>> http://xenbits.xen.org/hg/XCP/1.1/xen-3.4.pq.hg/
>>
>> and:
>> qemu-xen-3.4.pq.hg - patch queue against c/s 284d056851f7 of
>> qemu-xen-unstable.hg:
>> http://xenbits.xen.org/hg/XCP/1.1/qemu-xen-3.4.pq.hg/
>>
>> and:
>> dom0 kernel:
>> http://xenbits.xen.org/hg/XCP/1.1/linux-2.6.32.pq.hg/
>>

> Btw the URLs are from here:
> http://www.xen.org/products/cloud_source.html
>

> -- Pasi

Thanks Pasi!

I think I have a pretty solid understanding of what works and what doesn't now.
It appears the actual drivers themselves tend to work reasonably
well.. most of the issue is the service within the guest tries to
initialize and finds xenstore dosen't contain the values it needs.
This causes it to restart 100s of times per second.. flatlining CPU. I
have disabled the service and observed disk IO and network performace
is very good but the shutdown monitoring doesn't work.
The solution to this is to use either the included xenstore client or
reverse engineer xs.dll in the Citrix XCP package..

I think I will post up a simple shutdown monitor based on the command
line xenstore_client that can be used with the Citrix drivers for
anyone that want's to go this route.
Atleast until I record xenstore traffic on XCP and Xenserver to
determine what Xen.org needs to write etc to make the usual service
work correctly.

Joseph.

>> XenServer 6.0 and XCP 1.5 are based on Xen 4.1.x,
>> but still using Xenlinux 2.6.32 dom0 kernel.
>>

>> > Specifically looking for something more accurate then major.minor.
>> > Also having accurate Linux kernel versions would be great also. (I
>> > assume both XCP 1.5 and XenServer 6.0 are using 2.6.32-pvops)
>> >

>> XenServer and XCP are using *Xenlinux* kernel, not pvops.
>> It's based on Novell/SUSE SLES11SP1 2.6.32 Xenlinux patches.
>>
>> > Ultimately I want to draw up a compatibility matrix of GPLPV and
>> > Citrix PV drivers using this information + testing and provide
>> > compatible Xen changesets and kernels for people that want to roll
>> > their own but still be able to use Citrix PV drivers if they want to.
>> >

>> That would be nice to have!
>>
>> -- Pasi

CTO | Orion Virtualisation Solutions | www.orionvm.com.au
Phone: 1300 56 99 52 | Mobile: 0428 754 846