Re: [Xen-users] How to create a Persistent VNC connection to a VM?

2012/5/25 Andrew Bobulsky <rulerof@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hello,
>
> Just thought I'd chime in.  I use UltraVNC on Windows to connect to
> the DomU, and it doesn't have any issues with resolution changes.  I
> got into UltraVNC because it's open source and supports AD
> authentication and various encryption methods.

Cool, maybe I should try that...

> It does, however, require a reconnect after DomU reboots.  I had
> thought that this was a side effect of the DomU ID changing upon
> reboot, something with Xen stopping the VNC server and then bringing

There's two things happening on the reboot.
1. The VNC server process for the VM is destroyed (and this sucks)
2. The domU ID changes, resulting in a new vnc port

You can fix 2) with static vnc port numbers, using vncunused=0 and then
setting them correctly.
Of course, then you need to know the port number, but once you connect
to more than one VM at the same time this would be neccessary anyway.

Once the port stays the same your VNC client might be able to keep the
session going over the problems caused by 1)

If you don't require VNC in the VM itself, another nice option is to
use iptables
or ebtables in dom0 to just forward the session to the domU. I haven't done that
but I'm quite sure it will work.

For us, things got a lot better since we have fixed VNC port numbers
for all VMs.
We only need VNC since xm console is quite limited and won't let you access the
vty 2-4 of a guest, and we needed those for kickstart debugging.

Greetings,
Florian