Re: [Xen-users] How to create a Persistent VNC connection to a VM?

James Harper wrote:

I was actually looking into this a little while back. One thing I decided though was that qemu would need to make a 'reverse vnc' connection so that it connects to the proxy as the server, which would remove the need for the proxy to poll the server (or even know which physical server IP the client was running on). For some reason though, qemu has its own implementation of vnc rather than using libvnc (or whatever it is called), so this change is more than a one-liner, although maybe still not that difficult.
The other advantage of this for me is that in a cluster of physical machines where the VM's float around depending on load etc, they all still just connect to the same proxy.

Would it be better to connect to the guest machine itself ? Ie set up the machine to run a shared virtual desktop rather than the virtual console display ? That way, you never need to know where the guest is (ie which host it's on, or which port it's console is on), you just connect to it's IP address and it'll just work (as long as it's actually up at the time).

--
Simon Hobson