Re: [Xen-users] Xen vs VMWare comparison paper

100% agreed.  You can't expect that paper to be objective given the source, can
you?  Anyway, we have some fairly large Xen deployments with multiple,
clustered dom0 hosts and hundreds of Linux PV guests.  I can tell you
confidently that the I/O bottleneck is our SAN implementation, not the network,
not blkback/blkfront, or anything else in Xen.  I've gotten throughput of
200MB/s sequential from PV guests, which is the limit of our network, but
unfortunately random I/O is the norm for us so we never really achieve
throughput anywhere near our theoretical limit.

My advice: If you want performance and you're willing to do it the "Xen way"
with Linux PV guests (or maybe Windows HVM and suitable drivers), Xen will do
fine.  If on the other hand you want something that will work "just like
VMWare" and support Windows natively with no special drivers, then yeah, the
VMWare paper is probably really relevant to you.  (And even then I thought
VMWare needed virtual drivers to perform optimally.  At least on Linux.)

-Jeff