Re: [Xen-users] HVM on 3.2 kernel hdd speed issue

On 3 April 2012 05:48, Mario <mario@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 04/02/2012 09:27 PM, Joseph Glanville wrote:

>>> Performance difference between dom0 kernels aside, what I don't
>>> understand
>>> is why windows HVM domU works fine, while linux doesn't?
>>> Isn't HVM supposed to work same for every guest, or does linux actualy
>>> have
>>> something against HVM mode? I simply don't get it.
>>

>> It's definitely not an optimized use case however I have never seen as
>> low performance as you are reporting.
>> There are too many reasons to list as to why performance between
>> Windows HVM and Linux HVM would differ.
>>
>> What Linux guests are you attempting to run?
>>
>> Joseph.
>>

> Running a slackware guest, tried various kernels, did not make any
> difference. Windows in question is 2008 R2.

Try using a 3.0 guest kernel with XEN_PLATFORM_PCI=y and all of the
Xen device drivers.
This will enable PVHVM and you should be right as rain for performance.

Founder | Director | VP Research
Orion Virtualisation Solutions | www.orionvm.com.au | Phone: 1300 56
99 52 | Mobile: 0428 754 846