Re: [Xen-users] HVM on 3.2 kernel hdd speed issue

On 04/01/2012 05:00 AM, Joseph Glanville wrote:
On 1 April 2012 01:33, Mario<mario@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Hey,

up untill recently I have been using gentoo-rebased xen patches for 2.6.34
kernel line, and it has been working fine. Recently i have decided to
upgrade few of my dom0's to 3.2 kernel, and everything seems fine except for
the linux guests in HVM mode. Drive read and write is painfuly slow, yet
windows guests on that same configuration (or any other variation) give
normal/expected results. Paravirtual linux guests do not seem to be
affected, and i have tried both 2.6 and 3.2 kernels on hvm guests but there
was no difference. Xen version = 4.1.2 stable.
Is there anything that I might be missing?

Thanks in advance,
mario

Hi Mario,

Are you using PVonHVM for your Linux guests? QEMU emulated disks aren't fast..
Check that you have xen_platform_pci=1 in your config file to make
sure PV drivers are enabled.

Are you using Gentoo guests too? Make sure you compile in the Xen
drivers if that is the case.
I am running many Gentoo 3.2.1 guests in PVHVM mode with excellent
disk and network performance (60k IOPs, 600mb/s+ sequentials)

Joseph.

I am not using PVonHVM, any more ideas?

m.