|
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] Re: [PATCH 2/4] stubdom: remove pciutils
On 22.09.26 07:58, Samuel Thibault wrote: Jürgen Groß, le lun. 21 sept. 2026 15:07:36 +0200, a ecrit:On 19.09.26 18:57, Samuel Thibault wrote:I have submitted the pciutils MiniOS port to upstream (which I should probably have done 18 years ago :) https://github.com/pciutils/pciutils/pull/235 https://github.com/pciutils/pciutils/pull/236 Jan Beulich, le mer. 19 août 2026 08:40:37 +0200, a ecrit:On 18.08.2026 23:42, Samuel Thibault wrote:Jürgen Groß, le mar. 18 août 2026 07:43:34 +0200, a ecrit:On 17.08.26 18:37, Samuel Thibault wrote:Juergen Gross, le lun. 17 août 2026 10:24:02 +0200, a ecrit:What about adding a comment to the stubdom Makefile in a separate patch, like: # pciutils support has been removed with commit <commit-id>, revert that patch # in case it is needed again. I think this would be preferable over unused and probably bit-rotten code in the repository.We can point people to pciutils through such a comment. Jürgen Groß, le mer. 19 août 2026 09:12:00 +0200, a ecrit:On 18.08.26 23:42, Samuel Thibault wrote:I don't see why it would be bit-rotten, since the pciutils version in used is fixed, it's a library that has a quite stable API, and the pci xen interface is supposed to keep backward compatibility.Then I'd rather add it to Mini-OS (probably behind another CONFIG option) than having it in the Xen tree.Mmm, but how? We don't really want to pull the whole pciutils build into mini-os :)TBH, I don't see why the whole Mini-OS specific stubdom maze should be in the Xen repository.It used to be at least because Xen itself was using stubdom for ioemu. It used to be that way because Mini-OS was initially a part of the Xen repository. This is no longer the case. Nowadays stubdom-ioemu is away, but stubdom/ still builds xenstore, so it makes sense that it's xen that builds it along building the non-stubdom version. I agree it makes sense that xen is triggering the build, like it is doing it for e.g. qemu. Qemu is a good example how it should be: a configure call and then a make call, both using the qemu build mechanisms. But having the non-Xen libraries related to Mini-OS and the related patches to be able to use them with Mini-OS in the Xen tree is making things much harder than they should be. Building a Xenstore stubdom should just trigger the Mini-OS build with some configuration options, including the pointing to the Xenstore source directory and a make target for the Xenstore make invocation. Juergen Attachment:
OpenPGP_0xB0DE9DD628BF132F.asc Attachment:
OpenPGP_signature.asc
|
![]() |
Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our |