[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [PATCH 2/4] stubdom: remove pciutils
- To: Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony PERARD <anthony.perard@xxxxxxxxxx>
- From: Jürgen Groß <jgross@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2026 15:07:36 +0200
- Authentication-results: eu.smtp.expurgate.cloud; dkim=pass header.s=google header.d=suse.com header.i="@suse.com" header.h="Content-Type:In-Reply-To:Autocrypt:From:Content-Language:References:To:Subject:User-Agent:MIME-Version:Date:Message-ID"
- Autocrypt: addr=jgross@xxxxxxxx; keydata= xsBNBFOMcBYBCACgGjqjoGvbEouQZw/ToiBg9W98AlM2QHV+iNHsEs7kxWhKMjrioyspZKOB ycWxw3ie3j9uvg9EOB3aN4xiTv4qbnGiTr3oJhkB1gsb6ToJQZ8uxGq2kaV2KL9650I1SJve dYm8Of8Zd621lSmoKOwlNClALZNew72NjJLEzTalU1OdT7/i1TXkH09XSSI8mEQ/ouNcMvIJ NwQpd369y9bfIhWUiVXEK7MlRgUG6MvIj6Y3Am/BBLUVbDa4+gmzDC9ezlZkTZG2t14zWPvx XP3FAp2pkW0xqG7/377qptDmrk42GlSKN4z76ELnLxussxc7I2hx18NUcbP8+uty4bMxABEB AAHNH0p1ZXJnZW4gR3Jvc3MgPGpncm9zc0BzdXNlLmNvbT7CwHkEEwECACMFAlOMcK8CGwMH CwkIBwMCAQYVCAIJCgsEFgIDAQIeAQIXgAAKCRCw3p3WKL8TL8eZB/9G0juS/kDY9LhEXseh mE9U+iA1VsLhgDqVbsOtZ/S14LRFHczNd/Lqkn7souCSoyWsBs3/wO+OjPvxf7m+Ef+sMtr0 G5lCWEWa9wa0IXx5HRPW/ScL+e4AVUbL7rurYMfwCzco+7TfjhMEOkC+va5gzi1KrErgNRHH kg3PhlnRY0Udyqx++UYkAsN4TQuEhNN32MvN0Np3WlBJOgKcuXpIElmMM5f1BBzJSKBkW0Jc Wy3h2Wy912vHKpPV/Xv7ZwVJ27v7KcuZcErtptDevAljxJtE7aJG6WiBzm+v9EswyWxwMCIO RoVBYuiocc51872tRGywc03xaQydB+9R7BHPzsBNBFOMcBYBCADLMfoA44MwGOB9YT1V4KCy vAfd7E0BTfaAurbG+Olacciz3yd09QOmejFZC6AnoykydyvTFLAWYcSCdISMr88COmmCbJzn sHAogjexXiif6ANUUlHpjxlHCCcELmZUzomNDnEOTxZFeWMTFF9Rf2k2F0Tl4E5kmsNGgtSa aMO0rNZoOEiD/7UfPP3dfh8JCQ1VtUUsQtT1sxos8Eb/HmriJhnaTZ7Hp3jtgTVkV0ybpgFg w6WMaRkrBh17mV0z2ajjmabB7SJxcouSkR0hcpNl4oM74d2/VqoW4BxxxOD1FcNCObCELfIS auZx+XT6s+CE7Qi/c44ibBMR7hyjdzWbABEBAAHCwF8EGAECAAkFAlOMcBYCGwwACgkQsN6d 1ii/Ey9D+Af/WFr3q+bg/8v5tCknCtn92d5lyYTBNt7xgWzDZX8G6/pngzKyWfedArllp0Pn fgIXtMNV+3t8Li1Tg843EXkP7+2+CQ98MB8XvvPLYAfW8nNDV85TyVgWlldNcgdv7nn1Sq8g HwB2BHdIAkYce3hEoDQXt/mKlgEGsLpzJcnLKimtPXQQy9TxUaLBe9PInPd+Ohix0XOlY+Uk QFEx50Ki3rSDl2Zt2tnkNYKUCvTJq7jvOlaPd6d/W0tZqpyy7KVay+K4aMobDsodB3dvEAs6 ScCnh03dDAFgIq5nsB11j3KPKdVoPlfucX2c7kGNH+LUMbzqV6beIENfNexkOfxHfw==
- Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Sep 2026 13:07:39 +0000
- List-id: Xen developer discussion <xen-devel.lists.xenproject.org>
On 19.09.26 18:57, Samuel Thibault wrote:
Hello,
I have submitted the pciutils MiniOS port to upstream (which I should
probably have done 18 years ago :)
https://github.com/pciutils/pciutils/pull/235
https://github.com/pciutils/pciutils/pull/236
Jan Beulich, le mer. 19 août 2026 08:40:37 +0200, a ecrit:
On 18.08.2026 23:42, Samuel Thibault wrote:
Jürgen Groß, le mar. 18 août 2026 07:43:34 +0200, a ecrit:
On 17.08.26 18:37, Samuel Thibault wrote:
Juergen Gross, le lun. 17 août 2026 10:24:02 +0200, a ecrit:
What about adding a comment to the stubdom Makefile in a separate patch, like:
# pciutils support has been removed with commit <commit-id>, revert that patch
# in case it is needed again.
I think this would be preferable over unused and probably bit-rotten code in
the repository.
We can point people to pciutils through such a comment.
Jürgen Groß, le mer. 19 août 2026 09:12:00 +0200, a ecrit:
On 18.08.26 23:42, Samuel Thibault wrote:
I don't see why it would be bit-rotten, since the pciutils version in
used is fixed, it's a library that has a quite stable API, and the pci
xen interface is supposed to keep backward compatibility.
Then I'd rather add it to Mini-OS (probably behind another CONFIG option) than
having it in the Xen tree.
Mmm, but how? We don't really want to pull the whole pciutils build into
mini-os :)
TBH, I don't see why the whole Mini-OS specific stubdom maze should be in the
Xen repository. Thinking about the hoops I had to jump through for doing some
of the Mini-OS cleanups (especially regarding config options), having all of
the stubdom stuff in Mini-OS or an extra repository would probably be cleaner.
This is true especially now, as none of the stubdom remains really depend on
the Xen version any longer (apart from the requirement to use a fairly new
Xen).
OTOH before moving stubdom to Mini-OS, UNIKRAFT seems to be a valid alternative.
Juergen
Attachment:
OpenPGP_0xB0DE9DD628BF132F.asc
Description: OpenPGP public key
Attachment:
OpenPGP_signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature
|