[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [PATCH 2/4] stubdom: remove pciutils



Jürgen Groß, le lun. 21 sept. 2026 15:07:36 +0200, a ecrit:
> On 19.09.26 18:57, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > I have submitted the pciutils MiniOS port to upstream (which I should
> > probably have done 18 years ago :)
> > 
> > https://github.com/pciutils/pciutils/pull/235
> > https://github.com/pciutils/pciutils/pull/236
> > 
> > Jan Beulich, le mer. 19 août 2026 08:40:37 +0200, a ecrit:
> > > On 18.08.2026 23:42, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > > > Jürgen Groß, le mar. 18 août 2026 07:43:34 +0200, a ecrit:
> > > > > On 17.08.26 18:37, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > > > > > Juergen Gross, le lun. 17 août 2026 10:24:02 +0200, a ecrit:
> > > > > What about adding a comment to the stubdom Makefile in a separate 
> > > > > patch, like:
> > > > > 
> > > > > # pciutils support has been removed with commit <commit-id>, revert 
> > > > > that patch
> > > > > # in case it is needed again.
> > > > > 
> > > > > I think this would be preferable over unused and probably bit-rotten 
> > > > > code in
> > > > > the repository.
> > 
> > We can point people to pciutils through such a comment.
> > 
> > Jürgen Groß, le mer. 19 août 2026 09:12:00 +0200, a ecrit:
> > > On 18.08.26 23:42, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > > > I don't see why it would be bit-rotten, since the pciutils version in
> > > > used is fixed, it's a library that has a quite stable API, and the pci
> > > > xen interface is supposed to keep backward compatibility.
> > > 
> > > Then I'd rather add it to Mini-OS (probably behind another CONFIG option) 
> > > than
> > > having it in the Xen tree.
> > 
> > Mmm, but how? We don't really want to pull the whole pciutils build into
> > mini-os :)
> 
> TBH, I don't see why the whole Mini-OS specific stubdom maze should be in the
> Xen repository.

It used to be at least because Xen itself was using stubdom for ioemu.

Nowadays stubdom-ioemu is away, but stubdom/ still builds xenstore,
so it makes sense that it's xen that builds it along building the
non-stubdom version.

> Thinking about the hoops I had to jump through for doing some
> of the Mini-OS cleanups (especially regarding config options), having all of
> the stubdom stuff in Mini-OS or an extra repository would probably be cleaner.

I don't really see how that will help with the config options
management? It will however make its buildability checks less apparent
to xen developers.

Samuel



 


Rackspace

Lists.xenproject.org is hosted with RackSpace, monitoring our
servers 24x7x365 and backed by RackSpace's Fanatical Support®.