Re: [Xen-devel] PVH VCPU hotplug support v7?

On 07/31/2017 10:12 AM, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 31/07/17 14:55, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:
>> On 07/31/2017 09:20 AM, Ross Lagerwall wrote:
>>> Hi Boris,
>>>
>>> I've modified your PVH VCPU hotplug support v6 patch series [1] to
>>> support HVM guests running _with_ a device model for XenServer's
>>> purposes. This is useful because it moves the vCPU hotplug handling
>>> out of QEMU and allows it to mostly be shared with PVH. It will also
>>> allow unplugging vCPUs (libxl currently only does cpu-add for upstream
>>> qemu).
>>>
>>> Are you still planning on continuing with that patch series since your
>>> commit to Linux [2]?
>> This series has been put on hold until we figure out what to do with
>> hotplug for PVH dom0. (The problem was the "dual" view by dom0 of APCI
>> CPU namespace --- on hotplug event dom0 has to somehow figure out
>> whether the event was due to (dis)appearance of a physical or virtual CPU).
>>
>> I don't think this has been dealt with yet (copying Roger).
> From the point of view of unblocking several pieces of work, it would be
> fine for this logic to be behind an emulation flag, just like LAPIC/etc.

The (I think) last message discussing this series was

https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-01/msg00143.html

Are you suggesting extracting pieces that would move hotplug support for
HVM guests from qemu to hypervisor/toolstack but leave all PVH-specific
code out? (The feature flag is part of this series ---
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2017-01/msg00059.html)

-boris