Re: [Xen-devel] OSSTest nested patch PART2 -- L2 installation failure [and 1 more messages]

Hu, Robert writes ("RE: OSSTest nested patch PART2 -- L2 installation failure"):
> Now another issue: after attach lvm to L1, cannot see it inside.
> vgdisplay shows nothing.
>
> My manual test like this:
> xl block-attach 13 /dev/osstest-host2/test_l2,raw,sdc,rw
>
> xl block-list can see it, while inside L1 cannot.

Hu, Robert writes ("RE: OSSTest nested patch PART2 -- L2 installation failure"):
> Tried:
> After attach, in L1 cannot see the additional disk, if L1 is nested
> Xen. After reboot, can see it.  If L1 is booted as normal guest, it
> can see the additional disk at once, after attachment.

So your two tests are:

                                        case A         case B

   1.   boot L1                         nestedhvm=1    nestedhvm=0
        without additional disk

   2.   xl block-attach in L0

   3.   xl block-list in L0 shows it

   4.   ??? in L1 to look for disk      not visible    visible

   5.   reboot L1 with same nestedhvm
        setting

   6.   ??? in L1 to look for disk      visible        visible

Is that right ?

I think this may be because the L1 booted with nestedhvm=1 gets its
disks solely via the emulated IDE controller supplied by qemu in L0.
And that IDE controller does not support hotplug.

(I don't quite understand why merely setting nestedhvm=1 stops the L1
from finding its Xen platform PCI device and initialising itself as a
Xen guest in a way that would prevent it also being a host.  I'm not
sure this is relevant, though.)