Re: [Xen-devel] PCI Pass-through in Xen ARM - Draft 2.

On 31/07/15 4:49 pm, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Fri, 2015-07-31 at 16:37 +0530, Manish Jaggi wrote:
On Friday 31 July 2015 01:35 PM, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Fri, 2015-07-31 at 13:16 +0530, Manish Jaggi wrote:
Secondly, the vdev-X entry is created async by dom0 watching on
event.
So how the tools could read back and call assign device again.
Perhaps by using a xenstore watch on that node to wait for the
assignment
from pciback to occur.
As per the flow in the do_pci_add function, assign_device is called
first and based on the success xenstore entry is created.
Are you suggesting to change the sequence.
Perhaps that is what it would take, yes, or maybe some other
refactoring
(e.g. splitting assign_device into two stages) might be the answer.
The hypercall from xenpciback (what I implemented) is actually making
the assign device in 2 stages.
I think the point of contention is the second stage should be from
toolstack.

I think calling xc_assign_device after xenstore from the watch callback
is the only option.
Only if you ignore the other option I proposed.

One question is how to split the code for ARM and x86 as this is the
common code.
Would #ifdef CONFIG_ARM64 ok with maintainers.
No. arch hooks in libxl_$ARCH.c (with nop implementations where necessary)
would be the way to approach this. However I still am not convinced this is
the approach we should be taking.

My current preference is for the suggestion below which is to let the
toolstack pick the vdevfn and have pciback honour it.
That would duplicate code for dev-fn generation into toolstack from
__xen_pcibk_add_pci_dev.
IMHO the toolstack is the correct place for this code, at least for ARM
guests. The toolstack is, in general, responsible for all aspects of the
guest layout. I don't think delegating the PCI bus parts of that to the
dom0 kernel makes sense.
Ok, i will implement the same from pciback to toolstack. I am not sure about the complexity but will give it a try.
With this xen-pciback will not create the vdev-X entry at all.

I'd not be surprised if the same turns out to be true for x86/PVH guests
too.