Re: [Xen-devel] PV-vNUMA issue: topology is misinterpreted by the guest

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 04:44:36PM +0200, Dario Faggioli wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-07-24 at 12:28 +0200, Juergen Gross wrote:
> > On 07/23/2015 04:07 PM, Dario Faggioli wrote:
>
> > > FWIW, I was thinking that the kernel were a better place, as Juergen is
> > > saying, while now I'm more convinced that tools would be more
> > > appropriate, as Boris is saying.
> >
> > I've collected some information from the linux kernel sources as a base
> > for the discussion:
> >
> That's great, thanks for this!
>
> > The complete numa information (cpu->node and memory->node relations) is
> > taken from the acpi tables (srat, slit for "distances").
> >
> Ok. And I already have a question (as I lost track of things a bit).
> What you just said about ACPI tables is certainly true for baremetal and
> HVM guests, but for PV? At the time I was looking into it, together with
> Elena, there were Linux patches being produced for the PV case, which
> makes sense.
> However, ISTR that both Wei and Elena mentioned recently that those
> patches have not been upstreamed in Linux yet... Is that the case? Maybe
> not all, but at least some of them are there? Because if not, I'm not
> sure I see how a PV guest would even see a vNUMA topology (which it
> does).

Yes, PV guest should not be able to get any vnuma info. I hope finish
with rebasnig patch and post it on Monday. Few things has changed, as well as
assignment of cpus to vnodes and the way it was done before (in latest
version on linux vnuma patch) does not work anymore.