Re: [Xen-devel] PCI Pass-through in Xen ARM - Draft 2.

On 09/07/2015 12:30, Manish Jaggi wrote:
On Thursday 09 July 2015 01:38 PM, Julien Grall wrote:
On 09/07/2015 08:13, Manish Jaggi wrote:

If this was a domctl there might be scope for accepting an
implementation which made assumptions such as sbdf == deviceid. However
I'd still like to see this topic given proper treatment in the design
and not just glossed over with "this is how ThunderX does things".
I got your point.
Or maybe the solution is simple and we should just do it now -- i.e.
can
we add a new field to the PHYSDEVOP_pci_host_bridge_add argument struct
which contains the base deviceid for that bridge
deviceId would be same as sbdf. As we dont have a way to translate sbdf
to deviceID.

I think we have to be clear in this design document about the
different meaning.

When the Device Tree is used, it's assumed that the deviceID will be
equal to the requester ID and not the sbdf.
Does SMMU v2 has a concept of requesterID.
I see requesterID term in SMMUv3

The requester ID is part of the PCI spec and not the SMMU.

The version of the SMMUv2 spec doesn't mention anything about PCI. I suspect this is because the spec has been written before the introduced PCI. And therefore this is implementation defined.

Linux provides a function (pci_for_each_dma_alias) which will return a
requester ID for a given PCI device. It appears that the BDF (the 's'
of sBDF is only internal to Linux and not part of the hardware) is
equal to the requester ID on your platform but we can't assume it for
anyone else.
so you mean requesterID = pci_for_each_dma_alias(sbdf)

Yes.

When we have a PCI in hand, we have to find the requester ID for this
device.
That is the question. How to map requesterID to sbdf

See above.

On
Once ?

Yes.

we have it we can deduce the streamID and the deviceID. The way to do
it will depend on whether we use device tree or ACPI:
    - For device tree, the streamID, and deviceID will be equal to the
requester ID
what do you think should be streamID when a device is PCI EP and is
enumerated. Also per ARM SMMU 2.0 spec  StreamID is implementation
specific.
As per SMMUv3 specs
"For PCI, it is intended that StreamID is generated from the PCI
RequesterID. The generation function may be 1:1
where one Root Complex is hosted by one SMMU"

I think my sentence "For device tree, the streamID, and deviceID will be equal to the requester ID" is pretty clear. FWIW, this is the solution chosen for Linux:

"Assume Stream ID == Requester ID for now. We need a way to describe the ID mappings in FDT" (see arm_smmu_add_pci_device in drivers/iommu/arm-smmu.c).

You can refer to my point below about ACPI tables. The solution would be exactly the same. If we have a requester ID in hand we can do pretty much everything.

The whole point of my previous email is to give insight about what we need and what we can deduce based on firmware tables. I didn't cover anything implementation details.

Regards,

--
Julien Grall