Re: [Xen-devel] xen-unstable + 4.1.0-rc1: Dom0 kernel stalls in early boot

> Hi David / Konrad,

> Today i tried upgrading my dom0 kernel to 4.1-rc1, but it stalls in early
> boot.
> Xen console was still reponsive so i dumped some info with the debug keys.

> Serial log is attached.

> The kernel boots fine on baremetal and my previous test kernel that was
> pulled
> and compiled on 20150423 in the mergewindow boots fine (unfortunately my
> scripts
> don't add an git commit version to the kernel name yet.

> (but the 20150423 version has it's own issue when used as a PV guest kernel
> with pci passthrough, pci-front can't connect somehow, which i was trying
> to get at .. when i stumbled upon this one :-) ).

> --
> Sander

Hrmm shoot, that even didn't need a full bisection
(but i looked over it before sending the mails), tested by reverting
this one commit, after that it boots fine:

61f01dd941ba9e06d2bf05994450ecc3d61b6b8b
"x86_64, asm: Work around AMD SYSRET SS descriptor attribute issue"

Question is .. why does it boot on baremetal, but not under Xen ?
(any ideas before getting this to LKML and x86 maintainers  / Linus ?)

--
Sander