Re: [Xen-devel] PML (Page Modification Logging) design for Xen

On 14/02/15 03:01, Kai Huang wrote:
>>> This will only function correctly if superpage shattering is used.
>>>
>>> As soon as a superpage D bit transitions from 0 to 1, the gfn is logged
>>> and the guest can make further updated in the same frame without further
>>> log entries being recorded. The PML flush code *must* assume that every
>>> other gfn mapped by the superpage is dirty, or memory corruption could
>>> occur when resuming on the far side of the migration.
>> To me the superpage has been split before its D bit changes from 0 to
>> 1, as in my understanding EPT violation happens before setting D-bit,
>> and it's not possible to log gfn before superpage is split. Therefore
>> PML doesn't need to assume every other gfn in superpage range is
>> dirty, as they are already 4K pages now with D-bit clear and can be
>> logged by PML.  Does this sound reasonable?

Agreed - I was describing the non-shattering case.

>>> "performance" is a huge amorphous blob of niceness that wants to be
>>> achieved.  You must be more specific than that when describing
>>> "performance" as "better".
>> Yes I will gather some benchmark results prior to sending out the
>> patch to review. Actually it will be helpful if you or other guys can
>> provide some suggestion relating to how to measure the performance,
>> such as which benchmarks should be run.

At a start, a simple count of vmexits using xentrace would be
interesting to see.

Can I highly recommend testing live migration using a memtest vm?  It
was highly useful to me when developing migration v2 and complains very
loudly if some if its memory gets left behind.

>>> I was referring to the shattering aspect, rather than PML itself.
>>> Shattering all superpages would be overkill to just track vram, which
>>> only needs to cover a small region.
> To me looks currently tracking vram (HAP) shatters all superpages,
> instead only superpages in vram range would be. Am I misunderstanding
> here?

You are completely correct.

Having just re-reviewed the HAP code, superpages are fully shattered as
soon as logdirty mode is touched, which realistically means
unconditionally, given that Qemu will always track guest VRAM.  (So much
for the toolstack trying to optimise the guest by building memory using
superpages; Qemu goes and causes Xen extra work by shattering them all.)

This means that PML needing superpage shattering is no different to the
existing code, which means that there are no extra overheads incurred as
a direct result of PML.

~Andrew