Re: [Xen-devel] PML (Page Modification Logging) design for Xen

could we at least detect and warn vcpu changes when PML is enabled?
dirty logging happens out of guest's knowledge and there could be the
case where user right online/offline a vcpu within that window.

> > which presumably
> > means that the PML buffer flush needs to be aware of which gfns are
> > mapped by superpages to be able to correctly set a block of bits in the
> > logdirty bitmap.
> >
> Unfortunately PML itself can't tell us if the logged GPA comes from
> superpage or not, but even in PML we still need to split superpages to
> 4K page, just like traditional write protection approach does. I think
> this is because live migration should be based on 4K page granularity.
> Marking all 512 bits of a 2M page to be dirty by a single write doesn't
> make sense in both write protection and PML cases.

agree. extending one write to superpage enlarges dirty set unnecessary.
since spec doesn't say superpage logging is not supported, I'd think a
4k-aligned entry being logged if within superpage.

Thanks
Kevin