Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Tweaking the release process for Xen 4.6

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 06:04:10PM +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Wei,
> could you explain what you mean by soft freeze and hard freeze.
> Regards

They correspond to feature freeze and code freeze respectively.

A bit more background information for developers that are new to the
community. In 4.5 and 4.4 there were two freezes, one called feature
freeze (soft freeze), the other called code freeze (hard freeze).

In 4.4 and 4.5, feature posted before feature freeze but didn't get in
before feature freeze still have a chance to get merged, provided that
1) it's in good shape, 2) there is a strong argument that it should be
merged. Code freeze is the strict freezing point, when no more new
features can go in after that.

That model has its pros and cons. I proposed in my previous email to
just scrap the feature freeze and go with only code freeze, with the
hope to create shorter release cycle and smoother workflow.

Wei.