Re: [Xen-devel] dom0 kenrel crashes for openstack + libvirt + libxl

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 17.11.2014 13:39, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Fri, 2014-11-14 at 21:10 -0700, Xing Lin wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>

> >> The wiki page is ready. I am not sure whether I am using the correct
> >> format or not. Please let me know if any changes are need. Thanks,
> >>

> >> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_via_libvirt_for_OpenStack_juno
> >
> > Thanks for this. WRT the need to install virt manager to avoid the
> > "cannot open shared object file" issue I expect just running "ldconfig"
> > would have worked instead.
> >
> > It would also be good to understand why it is necessary to install from
> > source. Was it just the lack of the xencommons initscript? Debian and
> > Ubuntu have their own initscripts and don't reuse the xencommons script.
> > However it should be fairly easy to add the necessary commands to start
> > qemu to /etc/init.d/xen instead of rebuilding from source.
> >
> > I'd expect just adding to the end of the "start)" section of the script
> > to work. e.g.
> >
> >                 *) log_end_msg 1; exit ;;
> >         esac
> >         log_end_msg 0
> > +       /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-i386 -xen-domid 0 -xen-attach -name dom0
> > -nographic -M xenpv -daemonize \
> > +          -monitor /dev/null -serial /dev/null -parallel /dev/null \
> > +          -pidfile /var/run/qemu-xen-dom0.pid
> >         ;;
> >   stop)
> >         capability_check
> >         case "$?" in
> >                 0) ;;
> >
> > (nb, that's not a real patch, I just typed it into my mail client as is)
> >
> > If you can confirm that this works then I can try and get this fixed in
> > Debian at least.
>
> I'd be interested in getting this working in Ubuntu, too. So the wiki could
> drop
> the requirement for compiling your own xen. Getting openstack set up is hard
> enough. So far it seems like the two things missing would be the patch to qemu
> and starting an instance of it for dom0 (maybe), right?

Starting an instance from dom0 is done my xencommons, you can take a
look at the script as it is part of a normal Xen installation. The 3
lines Ian wrote are taken from it.

The patch to QEMU is now in upstream QEMU, qemu-xen for the coming 4.5
release and I have also backported it to the stable 4.4 and 4.3 qemu
tree.