Re: [Xen-devel] dom0 kenrel crashes for openstack + libvirt + libxl

On 17.11.2014 13:39, Ian Campbell wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-11-14 at 21:10 -0700, Xing Lin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> The wiki page is ready. I am not sure whether I am using the correct
>> format or not. Please let me know if any changes are need. Thanks,
>>

>> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_via_libvirt_for_OpenStack_juno
>
> Thanks for this. WRT the need to install virt manager to avoid the
> "cannot open shared object file" issue I expect just running "ldconfig"
> would have worked instead.
>
> It would also be good to understand why it is necessary to install from
> source. Was it just the lack of the xencommons initscript? Debian and
> Ubuntu have their own initscripts and don't reuse the xencommons script.
> However it should be fairly easy to add the necessary commands to start
> qemu to /etc/init.d/xen instead of rebuilding from source.
>
> I'd expect just adding to the end of the "start)" section of the script
> to work. e.g.
>
>                 *) log_end_msg 1; exit ;;
>         esac
>         log_end_msg 0
> +       /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-i386 -xen-domid 0 -xen-attach -name dom0
> -nographic -M xenpv -daemonize \
> +          -monitor /dev/null -serial /dev/null -parallel /dev/null \
> +          -pidfile /var/run/qemu-xen-dom0.pid
>         ;;
>   stop)
>         capability_check
>         case "$?" in
>                 0) ;;
>
> (nb, that's not a real patch, I just typed it into my mail client as is)
>
> If you can confirm that this works then I can try and get this fixed in
> Debian at least.

I'd be interested in getting this working in Ubuntu, too. So the wiki could drop
the requirement for compiling your own xen. Getting openstack set up is hard
enough. So far it seems like the two things missing would be the patch to qemu
and starting an instance of it for dom0 (maybe), right?

-Stefan