Re: [Xen-devel] Bisected Xen-unstable: "Segment register inaccessible for d1v0" when starting HVM guest on intel

On 02/07/14 10:28, Jan Beulich wrote:
>>> From: Jan Beulich [mailto:JBeulich@xxxxxxxx]
>>> No, you're again looking at the segment register load side, which isn't
>>> what this started with, and which we should put aside. The implicit
>>> supervisor mode accesses we're needing to deal with here are the
>>> ones _not_ resulting from emulation of anything: The update of the
>>> runstate area (which is what Sander stumbled across) and (similar)
>>> the update of time data, i.e. update_secondary_system_time(). Now
>>> that I think about it the two are actually different: The latter is
>>> specifically intended to update posibly user mode visible data, so we
>>> need to first determine whether it is correct to apply the SMAP check
>>> here (I think it is since the virtual address given to the kernel
>>> shouldn't be the one exposed to user mode - at least on Linux, so
>>> the question is whether we can assume eventual other OSes making
>>> use of this PV extension to also use distinct virtual addresses here).
>> If I understand it correctly, referring to the two examples you mentioned
>> here,
>> this is about a shared memory between Xen and guests. I have some questions
>> about this:
>> 1. What is the relationship between these operations and implicit supervisor
>> mode accesses?
>> Seems this is not what is defined for implicit supervisor mode accesses in
>> the Spec.
>> 2. For the first case you mentioned above, (v)->runstate_guest is a guest
>> pointer which
>> is set in 'VCPUOP_register_runstate_memory_area' operation, but I only see
>> this pointer
>> is set for domain 0, how is it set for HVM guests? For Sander's case, seems
>> this pointer
>> is set for the HVM guests (d1v0).
> I have no idea where you found this to be set for Dom0 only.
> VCPUOP_register_runstate_memory_area is available to all guests.
>
>> Here is a quote from Intel SDM:
>> "If CR4.SMAP=1, supervisor-mode data accesses are not allowed to linear
>> addresses that are accessible in user mode",
>> So for the second case you listed above, if Xen and user space use different
>> virtual
>> address, if the virtual address for Xen usage is supervisor-only, no SMAP
>> check will
>> be needed, However, if they use the same virtual address, SMAP check may be
>> needed
>> if this virtual address is use accessible.
> This being a PV extension to the base architecture, the hardware
> specification is meaningless. What we need to do here is _extend_ what
> the hardware has specified for those extra accesses. We have three
> options basically:
> 1) never do any checking on such accesses
> 2) honor CPL and EFLAGS.AC
> 3) always do the checking
> The first one obviously is bad from a security POV. Since the third one is
> more strict than the second and since I assume adding some override is
> [...]

The problem is not the hypervisor check.  We are already deep within an
hvm_copy_to_user() which is between a stac()/clac() pair.

The issue is that guest_walk_tables() is checking a Xen access using
guest page tables as if it were a supervisor access given the current
context of the vcpu.

What can/should Xen do if its emulated access fails with a guest SMAP
violations?  It certainly can't/shouldn't inject a pagefault, nor should
it actually fail the write.  copy_to_user() is not subject to the guest
operating mode and whether we are writing into guest user or supervisor
pages.

~Andrew