Re: [Xen-devel] Spurious "NUMA placement failed, performance might be affected" message on ARM

On lun, 2014-04-28 at 13:15 +0100, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 28/04/14 12:30, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2014-04-28 at 11:01 +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > [...]
> >> total_memory           : 8184
> >> free_memory            : 6933
> > [...]
> >> node:    memsize    memfree    distances
> >>    0:      4088       3861      20
> > I think we are missing some RAM here...
> >
> > and I have now noticed that I only see this for guests which have more
> > RAM than this memfree value (+/- some slop). The guests succeed because
> > there is actually RAM available.
> >
> > I think this is enough for me to now track down the cause on the
> > hypervisor side. Thanks for your input.
> >
> > Ian.
>
> Do be aware that the memsize value is "number of pages on this node"
> which includes IO mappings of non-ram regions, and as a result memfree
> is mostly fictitious.
>
> I raised this as a concern with the hwloc code, but without any
> subsequent discussion.

There has been another discussion about discrepancies in total and free
memory reporting. ISTR, it was noticed at the time when I added the
support for some of these NUMA stuff in libvirt.

I don't have it handy right now... I'll see if I can fetch it back,
merge it with your observations in the hwloc thread and (re)start a
discussion about this.

Regards,
Dario