Re: [Xen-devel] xen & MacVtap

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 04:54:34PM +0800, topperxin wrote:

> å 2014-01-09 20:14:08ï"Wei Liu" <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> åéï
> >On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 11:52:23AM +0800, topperxin wrote:
> >>

> >> Hi Wei
> >>
> >>      Thanks for your reply, I know you are in charge of porting Virtio to
> >> xen, how about the process? May we configure Virtio on xen?
> >
> >I wouldn't say "I'm in charge". That was sort of experimental project
> >two years ago. And I stopped after that. So my knowledge is in fact
> >quite out dated.
> >
> >I tried VirtIO on HVM guest about two months ago. It worked for me.
> >That's the only thing I'm qualified to say. However Fabio reported it
> >didn't work for him. So in short your mileage may vary.
>

> Could you please share us the elaborate steps about how to enable VirtIO on
> xen HVM guest? Thanks a lot

In your vif configuration, add in "model=virtio-net-pci" to specify
VirtIO net as your emulated device. You also need to add in
xen_emul_unplug=never in your *guest* kernel command line.

You might also find device_model_args= useful for appending arbitratry
arguments to QEMU. Presumably you need to append some runes to QEMU to
enable MacVtap.

Wei.