Re: [Xen-devel] 3.4.70+ kernel WARNING spew dysfunction on failed migration

On Thu, 2014-01-09 at 19:08 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Ian Campbell writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] 3.4.70+ kernel WARNING spew dysfunction
> on failed migration"):
> > The older method is that the toolstack resets a bunch of state (see
> > tools/python/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py resumeDomain) and then restarts
> > the domain. The domain will see HYPERVISOR_suspend return 0 and will
> > continue without any realisation that it is actually running in the
> > original domain and not in a new one. This method is supposed to be
> > implemented by libxl_domain_resume(suspend_cancel=0) but it is not.
>
> I have looked into this and I think I can fairly simply implement the
> old protocol in libxl.  This is necessary, I think, to preserve our
> back-to-3.0 ABI compatibility guarantee.
>
> Looking at a modern pvops Linux kernel, does seem to try to cope with
> older hypervisors which don't do the "new" protocol.  So that's a
> reasonable thing to start with, but looking at the code in Linux I
> suspect it may not actually work very well.  So if anyone has an
> ancient test case of some kind that would be helpful...

The linux-2.6.18-xen.hg kernel ought to work in the old mode I think. Or
any of the SLES fwd ports?

Looks like RHEL4 (linux-2.6.9-89.0.16.EL kernel) doesn't have the
support for the new mode at all.

It would probably be wise to validate this under xend before chasing
red-herrings with xl.